Sunday, March 13, 2011

Some Things New

Over the last few days I've tried some new things.  The motivation for this was largely my 29@29 list I wrote on (and for a few weeks after) my last birthday.  I didn't share it here... partly because I finished writing it so long after my birthday and partly because some of the things are just silly and, I don't know why, it feels very personal, too personal to put up for everyone to see.  I have to say though that having goals written down, with an due date, are highly motivating!  

The first thing I tried was a knit & chat night at my local yarn store.  This picture is care of their website and doesn't reflect the current window display of green yarn or the actual interior of the store where the knit & chat occurred so you'll have to use your imagination a bit!  It turned out to be a great experience.  Firstly, a chance to knit without interruptions (other then eating cookies someone had brought I mean), secondly, a great group of ladies with lots of knitting knowledge and fun conversation.  Definitely something I would like to try again!  Cross off  go to a knit & chat from the list.


The second thing I tried was rock climbing.  Indoors, at a local climbing gym.  Again I forgot my camera so you'll have to make do with this picture from their website.  Rock climbing is pretty hard (which I was expecting).  My arms were tired after about 2 climbs!  I was able to climb the first three levels of  routes (? is that the term) but got stuck on the 4th.  A challenge for next time I guess!  (Yes, I would go back.)  Cross try something new off the list.

 

I love how these two new things are such opposites yet represent me fairly well.  To elaborate, over the last 8 days, as well as the above mentioned activities, I attended a bike show, went to a learning session on early childhood numeracy skills and went to the ballet.  Now I don't want you to think I'm always that busy but I find I go in spurts of crazy busy weeks and then weeks where nothing much goes on.

There's another New Thing I'd like to share with you, but I haven't committed to it 100% yet.  I'll let you know when I do.  How about you, have you done any New Things recently?

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to make a list of things to do by a certain birthday. I'm always thinking of things to put on a "bucket" list, but probably should write them down and try to accomplish them. More motivation and a helpful reminder when they are written down! Gosh--I don't think I've done anything interesting lately. Definitely nothing close to rock climbing! That's really awesome that you did that. I have ideas of taking the kids in the jogging stroller and actually using it! but, sometimes sleep seems like a better idea, haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to make a little "bucket list" book - I agree, writing things down is helpful & motivating!

    I think I'd be picking sleep over a jogging stroller too. Sometimes I wish I was someone who only needed 5 hours of sleep a night, I'd get so much more done!

    ReplyDelete