Monday, January 17, 2011

Recording my days

I like the idea of having a yearly record of what has happened in my life.  Sometime around New Year's I'll read my journal entries for the past year and condense them into a "what happened this year" entry to myself.  Looking back and seeing what changes have happened in the last year feels like a great way to ring in the new year.  I also like the idea of having a yearly scrapbook type record that's a little less personal, so it could be shown to others, and acts as a place to keep ticket stubs, pictures and so forth.  In 2004 I tried doing a monthly layout after finding some paper meant for that purpose.  I think I lasted till March.  Last year when I ended up with a plethora of datebooks (I bought one and was given two) I decided to turn one into a mini scrapbook record of my year.  It turned out pretty well.


It's nice to have somewhere to put ticket stubs, pictures and memorabilia.


Although some weeks are pretty boring as not much out of the ordinary happened.  This year I'm trying a new format.  I love this printable I found to record "the best of my days".  Printed out, trimmed down and threaded on a binder ring the idea of recording one best thing everyday is both manageable and inspiring.  I'm planning to use it as a place to keep ticket stubs too by adding them behind each month's page.  It'll be sad interesting to see how often food features as the best thing!  So far it's down three times.


From three datebooks last year I'm down to one this year.  I love the cheery picture on the front and that it's recycled and made in Canada.  I don't like that it doesn't have a bookmark - so I made one!  Based on an idea I ripped out of an old Martha Stewart magazine, it was quick to make and so far is doing its job very well. 


Basically a piece of cardboard with two elastics attached.  One to mark your page.


And one to go around the whole thing to keep it closed.


Do you have any new projects on the go for this year?

3 comments:

  1. Such a great idea. I really should keep a journal or at least jot down some of the crazy things my kids do on a daily basis. Perhaps I'll take your lead and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I have always wanted to keep a journal, but never get around to it myself! I do want to sketch more in my sketchbook this year though.

    ReplyDelete