Monday, April 2, 2012

A Bale of Turtles


These little turtles were made to celebrate the first bike ride of the season.  They attach to handlebars and are the perfect mascots for Team Turtle! 


Team Turtle came about last year when the girls & I were out on a ride and we found some turtles in need of rescuing (listen turtles: the middle of the road is not a good place to stop!).  I also maintain my motto is "slow and happy"; I'm out to enjoy myself not knock myself out by getting to the finish line first.  So Team Turtle it is.  A great excuse to try out this tutorial over on Ric-Rac.


The original turtles aren't meant to hang off bikes so I added a hair elastic at the tail end which wraps under the handlebars and clips onto a button at the head end of the turtles.

In case you were wondering, their names are Speedy, Harrison & Earl.  Speedy doesn't like the wind, Harrison likes riding upside down and Earl had the good sense to stay home when it was hailing!

3 comments:

  1. I love them! i made some too a few years ago maybe? They are so fun and Speedy, Harrison, and Earl look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were fun to make, contemplated adding bike helmets or aviation hats but that seemed a bit fiddly!

      Delete