Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dip, dip and swing



This weekend I was fortunate to get out canoeing one evening. This lake is a 20 minute drive from where I live and despite the noise of the traffic from a nearby road it's pretty peaceful and lovely on an evening like this when the sun is setting and all is calm.

Canoeing was part of my childhood - I learned during visits to my grandparents' cottage in the summer. First learning to paddle while kneeling on the dock and then being promoted to the canoe itself with my mom paddling in the stern. I remember banging my thumb along the gunnels far more often then was comfortable but loving to be out in the canoe anyways. And when my sister and I were finally allowed to take the canoe over to the island ourselves? A dream come true! Somehow paddling to the island was much more exciting then just paddling around the bay although one of my favourite canoe memories happened in the bay. My mom and I were out on a quiet summer's evening and were in the right place at the right time to see a doe bringing her two fawns to the lake's edge for a drink.

Yep, canoeing is definitely one of my favourite things about summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment